Saudi Energy Minister Presses OPEC+ on Fulfilling Oil Cuts
Saudi energy minister, Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman has warned OPEC+ compliance laggards, saying that failing to execute pledged production cuts was undermining the alliance’s efforts to rebalance the oil market.
“Repeated promises that are not carried through in a timely fashion may have temporary positive impact, but if these are not delivered, they can come back to bite us all,” he said in his opening remarks to the Joint Ministerial Monitoring Committee held Thursday.
“The market can’t be fooled continually. These false promises not only discredit those who make them, but also weaken our collective goal.”
OPEC and its allies in August rolled back their historic 9.7 million b/d production cut accord to 7.7 million b/d, anticipating a pick-up in global oil demand, said Platts.
Collective compliance was 101% in August, but not all members shared the burden equally, and any countries that overproduced their quotas must make extra “compensation cuts” of an equivalent volume in subsequent months.
Countries that exceeded their quotas from May-August have a cumulative 2.375 million b/d of compensation cuts due, according to a technical committee report seen by S&P Global Platts.
The JMMC had previously said the compensation cuts should be completed by the end of September, but in an acknowledgment that this deadline was unlikely to be met, Prince Abdulaziz said: “We must strive to put the compensation scheme behind us and implement all of these compensation schemes hopefully before the end of the year.”
The UAE has emerged as a potential flashpoint, with its traditionally strong compliance blemished by what its energy minister, Suhail al-Mazrouei, has already confessed was a 100,000 b/d breaching of its quota in the month. Some secondary sources used by OPEC+ to monitor output have the violation even higher.
[Also Read] Production Cuts: Nigeria Risks OPEC Hammer Today
The prince praised UAE for its previous compliance and said he and Mazrouei had a productive lunch discussion before the meeting. But he added: “Not fully complying and then compensating should not become the norm.”
Mazrouei did not make remarks during the portion of the meeting that was livestreamed to the public. Abu Dhabi National Oil Co., which produces the vast majority of the UAE’s crude, has pledged significant October and November allocation cuts to term customers.
Besides the UAE, Russia also has work to do to bring its production down in line with its quota, with some countries frustrated that the JMMC co-leader is not doing its part, according to sources. Platts said
Meanwhile, Iraq, which has consistently struggled to make its quota, was in full compliance in August but has said it will likely need more time to implement the compensation cuts it had committed to fulfilling by the end of September.
Prince Abdulaziz, who has declared Saudi Arabia’s tolerance for OPEC+ free-riders to be over, has cracked the whip on compliance over the last few months, pressuring recalcitrant members, both privately and publicly, to improve their performance.
But oil prices have been mired between $40-$45/b since June, far below what many countries have budgeted for, and the global economy is still encountering headwinds in controlling the coronavirus impact.
The 7.7 million b/d in collective cuts are scheduled to remain in place through the end of 2020, after which they will ease to 5.8 million b/d for 2021 and the first quarter of 2022.
Prince Abdulaziz will have to tread a fine line in enforcing compliance, while not upsetting members too much, particularly with close ally UAE undermining his pressure campaign, one delegate said on condition of anonymity.
“The Saudis are going to push them to comply, [but] there are a lot of angry countries,” the delegate said.
By Chibisi Ohakah, Abuja