LASEMA Traces Surulere Fire Incident to Faulty Cooking Gas Cylinder

0 345

The Saturday evening fire incident on Market Street, off Ijesha, in Surulere area of Lagos State which gutted a building housing nine apartments and 12 shops was caused by a faulty cooking gas valve that exploded, the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has revealed.

In a post-disaster evaluation, LASEMA’s Director General, Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, however disclosed that no life was lost in the inferno due to the agency’s quick response as first responders among others agencies.

He noted that the fire incident which started around 5 pm on Saturday affected 62 traders and about 28 households.

[Also Read] Latest on Baruwa Gas Explosion: 8 Dead, 25 buildings, 16 Shops Razed – LASEMA

“The bungalow property comprised nine rooms, including 12 shops was extensively damaged. The agency worked alongside the Lagos State Fire Service to extinguish the fire and the operation was concluded in just under two hours on Saturday.

 “The entire building has been destroyed and will require integrity testing by the Lagos State Building Control Agency LABSCA, while the building has been cordoned off accordingly,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.

He attributed the incident to the carelessness of one of the tenants, who was cooking with a leaking gas cylinder, which affected other people’s properties in the building.

[Also Read] EKEDC to build new power facility in Surulere

Oke-Osanyintolu urged residents to keep off the scene, while also advising members of the public to ensure that their gas cylinders are always in good condition, to avoid fire outbreak.

The affected residents pleaded with the Lagos State Government to provide them with shelter, while the shop owners are seeking financial support from the Government.

By Peace Obi


Get more news like this directly in your inbox

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Enable Notifications    OK No thanks