The United States President, Donald Trump on Tuesday announced the suspension of funding of the World Health Organization.
Trump who accused the global health body of “severely mismanaging” the coronavirus pandemic said a review was conducted to assess WHO’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus.
He insisted that as a leading sponsor of WHO, US deserves accountability on the management of the coronavirus outbreak. He said, “American taxpayers provide between $400m and $500m per year to the WHO, in contrast China contributes roughly $40m a year, even less. As the organisation’s leading sponsor, the United States has a duty to insist on full accountability.
Trump said WHO was lacking in transparency over the outbreak, stressing that United States as the largest contributor to the UN body which provided $400 million last year will now “discuss what to do with all that money that goes to the WHO.”
“With the outbreak of Covid-19 pandemic, we have deep concerns whether America’s generosity has been put to the best use possible. The reality is that the WHO failed to adequately obtain, vet and share information in a timely and transparent fashion.”
The President last week had threatened to suspend the U.S. funding for the agency while expressing grievances with its handling of the novel coronavirus.
He said, “They missed the call. They could have called it months earlier. They would have known, and they should have known, and they probably did know.”