…World leaders warn of possible global disaster
As tensions around the Zaporizhzhya nuclear plant have escalated in recent days, Russia which controls the plant in southeastern Ukraine is said to be preparing to disconnect the operating blocks of the plant from the power grid, Ukrainian state nuclear firm Energoatom said.
In a statement quoted by Reuters, Energoatom believes that Russia was preparing to stage a “large-scale provocation” at Zaporizhzhya, the largest nuclear plant in Europe.
The Ukrainian company said Zaporizhzhya has been occupied by Russian forces since the early days of the Russian invasion of Ukraine.
In those days, Russia shelled the Zaporizhzhya power plant, creating concerns about a nuclear disaster ten times bigger than Chernobyl.
Ukrainian staff is still operating the Zaporizhzhya power plant, but there are Russian occupying forces on the ground.
Recently, tensions have escalated, and last week Antonio Guterres, the secretary-general of the United Nations, called on Ukraine and Russia to halt fighting in the area of the Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant and institute a demilitarized zone around it.
Earlier last week, Russia rejected a proposal by Guterres to demilitarize the area around Zaporizhzhya.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, discussed the issue with Zaporizhzhya with Guterres and with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Thursday, warning about “another Chernobyl” disaster, AFP reported.
Upon his return to Turkey, Erdogan said the situation at Zaporizhzhya was “a threat for the world” and that he plans to discuss the issue with Russian President Vladimir Putin.
“We will discuss this issue with Mr. Putin, and we will ask him specifically for this so that Russia does its part in this regard as an important step for world peace. [Russians] need to take this step.
“Ukraine has both its own technical staff and its own military forces in Zaporizhzhya. And they are capable of securing safety with their technical staff and soldiers there,” Radio Free Europe quoted Erdogan.