Nigeria’s Local Content Development: OILSERV Remarkable Footprint
Since the Nigeria Oil and Gas Industry Content Development Act 2010 came into effect 10 years ago, the footprint of an indigenous EPC giant, Oilserv Ltd, has remained boldly visible as a major player in driving the growth and development of local content in Nigeria.
At a time when pipeline EPC business was an exclusive preserve of multinational companies like Wilbros, SAIPEM and a host of other giants that dominated the industry then, Oilserv Limited’s entry as an indigenous company, was seen by industry observers as a launch into a bottomless business venture. But over the years, Oilserv has weathered the storm and carved a niche in excellent service delivery, which has shot it to the top of the list of indigenous companies of choice for pipeline EPC projects in Nigeria.
Today, the company’s track records in the delivery of world-class turnkey projects remains remarkable in the industry and have contributed significantly to the growth and expansion of oil and gas pipeline infrastructure in Nigeria.
Some of the projects executed using top-notch quality and safety standards include:
– The Greater Lagos Gas Distribution Network System (Phases 1, 2 3 & 4; Gaslink Nigeria Limited).
– The National Integrated Power Project (NIPP) Lot 1 & 2 (NDPHC).
– Oron Gas Transmission Pipeline System (SEPTA Energy).
– Akute Independent Power Project (with associated gas delivery pipeline system) for Oando Gas and Power.
– The South-South Gas Transmission Pipeline System, 18-inch x 128km with Gas City Gate and PRMS (East Horizon Gas Company Limited).
– The Gas Pipeline Transmission System for Geometric Power Plant with associated Metering System (for NGC).
– Complete Upgrade of Ikeja Metering Station for NGC.
– Fabrication and Installation of Ebubu-Ogale Oil manifold for SPDC, the largest of its type in Nigeria.
Oilserve is now ready to pre-commission the 48-inch x 127km OB/OB-OBEN Gas Transmission Pipeline (OB3 LOT B Project), the largest pipeline in Nigeria with the associated Gas Treatment Plant (GTP) and a capacity of 2 billion scf/day.
Indeed, the company is a novelty within the realm of capacity development of indigenous companies in the Oil and gas service sector.
HUMAN CAPITAL DEVELOPMENT FORAY
Oilserv Limited has sustained the proud initiative of the human capital development and training scheme for many years which entails training of young graduates (Graduate Training Scheme (GTS)) and non-graduates (Technical Training Scheme (TTS)) in various fields of operation in the Oil/Gas sector of the economy.
The scope of Graduate training scheme include; Project Management, Quality Control/Quality Assurance, HSE, HR, ICT, Planning/Control, Engineering etc. while the Technical training scope include but not limited to the following;
Automatic welding, Manual welding and fitting, Rigging activities, Basic equipment maintenance/assets training, Horizontal directional drilling operation, operation of heavy duty equipment like excavator, forklift, crane, swamp buggy, side boom, boom truck, back how etc.
So far, over 300 persons have been trained and deployed to our projects. Those who could not get a placement in the company due to space availability are certified to enable them get jobs elsewhere.
On 3rd July 2014, Oilserv received a certificate of commendation from NCDMB and Septa Energy (Now Seven Energy) during the graduation ceremony of Oron Gas Pipeline Project Graduate Engineers training programme held at Swiss International Mabisel Hotel, Trans-amadi, Port Harcourt. Engr. Rotimi Olagbaya of NCDMB, commended Oilserv as the first company ever since inception of the NCDMB to have driven this training programme.
The maiden technical trainee graduation ceremony was held on January 19, 2016.
Oilserv has always proven to not only take compliance seriously but also as a way of doing business. This is clearly evident in the just concluded process that led to the retention of two out of the three trainees from NCDMB. Beyond meeting the requirement for sponsoring the trainees to obtain IADC certificates, which frees Oilserv of every obligation for trainee retention, Oilserv went further to retain two trainees which is a testament of the exceptional training process Oilserv have put in place.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
Oilserv Ltd in collaboration with the Nanotechnology Research Group, Department of Physics & Astronomy, University of Nigeria, Nsukka is currently promoting the vigorous campaign for Research & Development in Nigeria since 2014 via full sponsorship of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd African Nanotechnology Conference & Workshop organized by the UNN Nano research Group with theme ‘’ Application of Nanotechnology to Energy, Health and Environment. The event gathers professors from around the globe, key government officials and captains of industry who share their wealth of experience via insightful presentations, interactive forums and workshops aimed towards development of Nanotechnology in the oil & gas industry.
Nanotechnology has been widely used in several other industries and can be very significant in the Oil and Gas sector as well. Adding Nanoparticles to fluids may significantly benefit Oil/gas operations, Pipelines & facilities, Manufacturing of pipeline materials, cleaning of oil spillages etc.
This is also reflected by using locally manufactured goods, Nigerian vendors and sub-contractors, which create jobs within the communities where they operate as well as in-country retention of funds.
Oilserv is at the conceptual stage of her world class fabrication yard to be utilized for fabricating equipment as well as skills development. The fabrication yard when completed would be a significant milestone in Oilserv’s quest for achieving effective implementation of the Local Content Law.
Oilserv continues to be recognized by industry association and the media as key contributor to Nigerian Content Development E.g.
• Certificate of commendation by NCDMB and Seven Energy for successfully conducting a four month intensive training program for 23 graduate engineers in Onshore Pipeline Engineering, Construction and Project Management on the Oro Gas Pipeline Project 2014
• PETAN Appreciation award for promotion of the growth of Nigerian Companies and entrepreneurs in the Petroleum Industry through sponsorship of Nigerian Participation at the Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
• Award of Excellence by the Nanotechnology Research Group of the Physics Department, University of Nigeria Nsukka 2014, 2016 and 2018.